Why We Recommend This Product:
These kelp granules are our first choice when considering how to get your daily dose of the nutrient "iodine". Maine Coast Sea Vegetables specializes in sustainably harvested seaweeds from the North Atlantic. Sea vegetables have particularly high amounts of iodine.
Iodine can have a profound impact on your child's brain. As we know, iodine is a crucial nutrient needed to make thyroid hormones, which are prime regulators of metabolism, growth and development. According to neuroscientist Dr. Perlmutter, thyroid hormones turn on the genes that are involved in the formation of dendrites and myelin (think new brain synapses, or connections) and can also boost levels of BDNF, the growth hormone which is essential in growing a smarter brain!
This is one of the critical micronutrients we highlight, as it's of great importance for fertility, in pregnancy, breastfeeding and postpartum recovery, as well as a key nutrient not to miss when starting solids with your little ones, and beyond!
Why Is Iodine A Critical Nutrient To Optimize
According to the National Institute for Health, Iodine deficiency has multiple adverse effects on growth and development and is the single greatest cause of preventable brain damage and mental retardation in the world.(1)
During pregnancy and early infancy, iodine deficiency can cause irreversible effects.
In infants and children, less severe iodine deficiency can also cause neuro-developmental deficits such as somewhat lower-than-average intelligence as measured by IQ.(2,3) Mild to moderate maternal iodine deficiency has also been associated with an increased risk for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children.(4) In adults, mild-to-moderate iodine deficiency can cause goiter as well as impaired mental function and work productivity secondary to hypothyroidism. Chronic iodine deficiency may be associated with an increased risk of the follicular form of thyroid cancer.(5)
How To Use This Product
So sprinkle these on your eggs, hummus, salads and serve on your littles plates or add it to broth!
These freshly harvested sea vegetables are low-temperature dried and hand packed with minimal processing at their facility in Maine. All of their healthy and delicious seaweed products are certified organic, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, GMO-free, and mostly raw.
1. International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders. Accessed 9/13/2010.
2. National Research Council, Committee to Assess the Health Implications of Perchlorate Ingestion. Health Implications of Perchlorate Ingestion. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2005.
3. Santiago-Fernandez P, Torres-Barahona R, Muela-Martínez JA, Rojo-Martínez G, García-Fuentes E, Garriga MJ, León AG, Soriguer F. Intelligence quotient and iodine intake: a cross-sectional study in children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Aug;89(8):3851-3857. [PubMed abstract]
4. Vermiglio F, Lo Presti VP, Moleti M, Sidoti M, Tortorella G, Scaffidi G, Castagna MG, Mattina F, Violi MA, Crisà A, Artemisia A, Trimarchi F. Attention deficit and hyperactivity disorders in the offspring of mothers exposed to mild-moderate iodine deficiency: a possible novel iodine deficiency disorder in developed countries. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Dec;89(12):6054-6060. [PubMed abstract]
5. Zimmermann MB. Iodine deficiency. Endocr Rev. 2009 Jun;30(4):376-408. [PubMed abstract]